Our promise to you
We will always strive to improve our environmental performance. That includes:
- Ensuring we comply with existing and future environmental legislation.
- Identifying harmful environmental effects that arise from our business and seeking to reduce them.
- Re-using and recycling all materials wherever practical.
- Providing environmental training for our staff and encouraging them to apply good environmental practice.
- Working and liaising with everyone who has an interest in our company and the environment (our customers, suppliers, our own staff and the environmental agencies).
- Discussing environmental issues regularly at the highest management levels.
- Encouraging our suppliers and customers to adopt the best possible environmental practices.
We only use FSC® certified paper. This means it has been sourced from sustainably managed forests and its site of origin is proven and traceable under certification from the Forest Stewardship Council®. Bishops Printers is also FSC certified, so you can continue the FSC chain of evidence through your printed products, if you choose to do so.
Minimising our environmental impact
Bishops' FSC certified house stock does not use chlorine in the bleaching process. The paper mill itself is one of the most efficient and environmentally sound mills in the world; 60% of its electricity is produced onsite and 80% of its energy is bio- energy. We recycle all waste paper at Bishops.
- Aluminium plates
All used plates are collected by our licensed waste carrier and are recycled. No plates are stored and they are all remade, therefore reducing the use of chemicals to clean and reuse them.
- CTP (Computer to Plate)
All plates are produced using our Computer to Plate machines, thus reducing the use of film and the chemicals required for them.
- Ink tins
These are crushed and recycled. The inks used are vegetable-based.
All plastic ink containers and plastic protective wrap from paper pallets are crushed and collected for recycling.
Waste is segregated, recycled and reused. All chemicals are collected by J&G Environmental, accredited waste disposal experts. They then dispose of them in the most environmentally-friendly way.
- We have replaced our fluorescent and halogen factory lights with LED lighting, reducing our carbon footprint by 462,826 Kg per year.
- Sustainable energy
124 Solar panels cover our 85,000 square foot roof, reducing our use of fossil fuels and our carbon footprint by offsetting 2,842 tonnes of CO2 per year.
Our plate-making machinery uses water technology to reduce the use of chemicals. All company vehicles are diesel to minimise our CO2 emissions. When purchasing our latest 10-colour presses, we chose to invest in Inpress Control, which cuts our start-up waste by one third. As existing machines are replaced, we will continue to minimise waste by purchasing Inpress Control, which is an optional extra.