Jargon Buster

Print terminology can be confusing and intimidating when you don’t understand it. If you can’t find the term you’re looking for, please call us on 023 9233 4900 and we’ll be pleased to help.


Image pressed into paper so it lies below the surface.


The degree of darkness of light absorption or opacity of printed images.


Process of using sharp metal rules on a wooden block to cut out specialised shapes such as pocket folders or unusual shaped flyers. A Bishops speciality!

Digital printing

More cost effective than lithographic printing for very short print runs or for personalised print. Although the quality of digital print has improved greatly over recent years, it is generally accepted that on the whole it is not yet to the standard of offset litho.

Dot gain

A printing defect in which dots print larger than intended, causing darker colours or tones. This is due to the spreading of ink on the paper stock. The more absorbent the stock, the more dot gain. It result can also vary depending on the type of ink used.


A measure of the quality of an image from a scanner or output resolution of a printer. The more dots per inch, the higher the quality will be, but the larger the file size the slower it will process. For this reason, digital applications tend to use lower resolution images with a lower DPI.


Drilling of holes in a product which will allow insertion over rings or posts in a binder of some sort.


A mock-up made to resemble the final printed product which uses the proposed grade, weight, finish and colour of paper.


A method of enhancing a mono image using two colours.